ShoreLines asked Hibiscus and Bays Local Board members, Julia Parfitt and Alexis Poppelbaum for an update on this important roading project.
After significant pressure from the community, Julia Parfitt and local MP Erica Stanford, a $45.6M upgrade to Glenvar Road is due to start in 2022.
Late last year Auckland Transport (AT) consulted with the community on the proposed improvements which included:
- Traffic light intersections – one at Glenvar/ East Coast/ Lonely Track Roads, and another at Glamorgan Drive/ East Coast Road
- Footpaths – creation and widening of footpaths along the eastern/ southern side of Glenvar Road
- Safety measures – raised pedestrian crossings, new pedestrian crossing, planted kerb buildouts, and “slow” road markings
- Cycle upgrades and amendments
- Transit lanes – down East Coast Road to the Northcross shops.